Province supporting students with better and modern learning spaces
NEWS Thursday October 22, 2020
BRANTFORD: The Ontario government is investing $550 million in accelerated funding to build 20 new schools and make upgrades to 8 existing facilities.
As part of its plan for a safe return to school, the Ontario government is supporting the Grand Erie District School Board with approval for a new South West Brantford Elementary School. For families in Brantford, this investment will mean an improved, quality learning environment and new child care rooms. This new school is part of the province’s 2020-2021 Capital Priorities Program to support students with better and more modern learning spaces.
“These are not just investments in bricks and mortar, our government is investing in the future of our children by creating a better learning environment,” said Will Bouma, MPP for Brantford-Brant. “By building this new school we are providing students with access to modern classroom settings and the latest technology which will lead to new opportunities and lifelong success.”
“I am thrilled to hear that the City will be receiving over $16 million to build a new school in the Southwest,” said Brantford Mayor Kevin Davis “I would like to thank MPP Bouma for advocating for our community. This truly is incredible development for the City, and the students in the area. ”
It is critical that Ontario continues to invest in safe and modern schools that meet the needs of students, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Ontario government is also generating nearly 900 new licensed child care spaces across the province.
“This government firmly believes that your children deserve to learn in state of the art, modern, technologically connected and accessible schools,” said Minister Lecce. “We will continue to take action, like the new South West Brantford Elementary School, to ensure students are safe today and well into the future by approving more new school buildings and permanent additions and increasing access to child care for working parents.”
Highlights of the new school include:
- 650 new elementary student spaces.
- 64 new licensed child care spaces.
- 4 child care rooms
The new South West Brantford Elementary School is located at the intersection of Shellard Lane & McGuinness Drive in Brantford.
- The Ontario Government is working with school board partners to invest in capital projects that advance safe and accessible learning opportunities for students.
- To create new opportunities for Ontario’s families, the government is investing up to $1 billion to create up to 30,000 new child care spaces in schools over five years.
- The Ontario Government announced in Budget 2019 that over the next ten years, Ontario is investing over $12 billion in capital grants, including allocating $550M in 2020-2021 for new schools, additions and major renovations.
- This massive investment will build new schools and help existing schools after a decade of closures and maintenance backlog.
- Ontario is also providing school boards with a historic $1.4 billion in funding to renew and maintain existing schools.
- This funding could be used to replace aging heating or air conditioning systems, repair roofs and windows, and install important accessibility features like elevators and ramps.
For more information, contact MPP Will Bouma at 519-759-0361 or [email protected]